The chayote, a climbing plant originally from Mexico, belongs to the melons family. It has so many names, in Hyderabad we are calling Bangalore vankaya, in Chennai and Jamaica, they are calling chow chow, English: chayote, vegetable pear, Malaysia: English cucumber.
Nutritional Values Very low in calories, (12 calories per 100 g on average), chayote contains 0.5% protein, 0.2% lipids and 2% sugars.
- Chop the onions and green chillies and keep aside.
- Peel & Cut the chayote into small size pieces (remove the seed). And Place chopped chayote, salt into a bowl. Mix by hand and squeeze out as much liquid as possible from chayote.
- Now Heat oil in a skillet, add tempering curry leaves, cumin, mustard seeds,black gram, Bengal gram,red chillies. When seeds start to jump around, add the chopped green chillies and onion. Saute them for few minutes.
- Later add chayote in that Mix thoroughly and cook for 5 minutes, covered with lid.
- Add the coriander powder, turmeric powder, salt and mix well and cook till done.