Thursday, June 5, 2008

Moong daal Bottle Gourd Curry and Coconut Chutney


Yesterday I made moong daal bottle gourd curry, it reminded me of my mum. She used to make this curry for my brother, who is the big fan of this moong daal bottle gourd curry. In those days I was not interested to eat this. So she used to prepare for me tamarind coconut chutney. I love this chutney with ghee and hot rice combination. But last time when I went to India I asked my mum this moong daal bottle gourd curry for me...???? I don't know Why... suddenly I got interest about this.
This Coconut Chutney is famous in our area as "kobbari pachadi". This kobbari pachadi is totally different to coconut chutney. but there is no English word for this....... because I mentioned the title as coconut chutney :( . This moong daal bottle gourd curry is very good for us in summer, it reduces body heat.
Coconut Chutney
1/2 Coconut grated or cut into peaces ( my mum used to grated one)
lemon size Tamarind
small peace of Jaggery ( it depends on your taste)
1 Tbs Coriander Seeds
1/2 Tsp Cumin
1 Tsp Urad daal
3 to 4 dry Red chillies
1 Tsp oil
Salt

Heat oil in a kadai and add cumin, coriander seeds, urad daal and red chillies and fry on medium heat till urad daal turns a little brown. Grind all these fried staff for one mint then add coconut, tamarind, jaggery and salt. Grind while adding less quantity ( 1 tbs water) of water.
serve with warm rice and ghee.

Moong daal Bottle gourd curry
Bottle gourd - 3 cups(chopped into medium size peaces)
Moong dal - 1 cup
Green chillies - 4
Onion - 1 small
Tamarind - lemon size
Jaggery - 1 tsp (optional)
Salt
Turmeric
1/2 tsp Cumin seeds
1/2 tsp Mustard seeds
1 tsp Urad dal
2 Garlic pods
5 Curry leaves
2 Dry Red Chillies




Green chillies and onion chopped into slices.
Soak the tamarind in one cup of water.
Wash the moong daal in water.
Take a pan add chopped Bottle guard, Onions, Chillies, Turmeric powder and washed moong daal and cover with lid (bottle gourd will lose some water itself, so no need to add any water),let them cook till moong daal cooked three fourth. If You cook more, the vegetable and daal will get smashed the dish will not come tasty.Keep checking it in between if it is sticking to the bottom of the pan. You can add a little water if it becomes too dry.
Then add salt and tamarind juice to this moong daal and mix it well. Let them cook for 5 mints.
Now for seasoning heat oil in kadia fry cumin,mustard, urad daal, garlic, red chillies, curry leaves till done and pour on daal vegetable.
Daal will get smashed in cooker so cooker is not good for best result.

24 comments:

Swati said...

The curry looks delicious and yummy!!
Congrats on your awards and thanks so much for thinking about me....:))

EC said...

Nice dish....thanks so much for considering me worth these awards...congrats to you too

ST said...

The curry looks delicious and yummy!!
Congrats on your awards......

Finla said...

Congrats with all the award and love the dish.

Sum Raj said...

curry is fantastic and yum......congrates ur awards and passing to me.....thank u so much..

Unknown said...

Simply superb recipes. You deserve the awards

Sailaja said...

Congratulations on your awards

Cham said...

Curry and chutney look perfect, thank u to tag me , i will acknoledge soon :)

Trupti said...

COngrats on your award and nice to read abt you.
I also make same kind of curry

Uma said...

Congrats on your awards! The curry and the chutney both look scrumptious.

Madhavi said...

Curry looks goood, delicious!!!Congratulations on ur award :))

Devi Priya said...

Thank you for the awrd" you made my day". Finally I have posted it on my blog and passed it on to Rashmi
Arunthadi
Sangeeth
Trupti

--Priya

Vani said...

Moong dal & bottlegourd curry sounds delicious!

Sagari said...

delecious curry and yummy chutneyyy

Hetal said...

Hey check out my blog,have something for you..db

Madhavi said...

Hey thank u so much for passing this award to me, m so happy, thanxxx dear once again :))

Sum Raj said...

hai...this is not at all stupid question dear..feel free...noo need of using stove..just enough to mix all the ingredients in bowl... real custard will form at the end stage of baking or steaming... let me know the result how it came..

Chef Jeena said...

Nice meme. :-D

This sounds like a real tasty curry.

It is funny how our tastes change as we grow, I used to hate mushrooms ntil a good few years back. I bet your mum was pleased you wanted this crry now. :-)

Trupti said...

Thank you very much for passing this award to me.

Sagari said...

Congrats for the award and thank u soooo much for choosing me ,I am sooo happyy

Swati Raman Garg said...

i will do that meem buddy .. and congrats on those awards....

Srikitchen said...

its sri from srishkitchen.blogspot.com.
thats a delicious dish... want to have once. congrats for the award u received. such a number of awards.. really that sounds great. Keep it up. keep in touch with my blog.

Sig said...

That is a yummy chutney, I love the presentation... :) Thanks for the entry.. Congrats on all your awards...

Anisheetu said...

Hi Thanks for ur comments... Thali peeth is a variety of roti....